Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What A Month!

Man, it's been a long month!!! I haven't had time for anything, but I guess that is what happens when you have kids, but even more so with twins, they kick my butt! So the last few weeks we have been trying to get the boys to kick some bad habits. First, we have a temperpedic bed and when the boys kept getting up in the night every hour and slept better with us we thought sleeping with us would be the best solution. The only problem is we were afraid with the bed their faces would sink into the bed since they won't sleep on their backs (another bad habit) and we were afraid of rolling on them. So our next wonderful solution was using those travel neck pillows, they seemed to sleep really well on those and if their face turned in the middle there was a big hole so we weren't worried to much about them getting stuck and if we rolled we hit the pillow, not them.

These wonderful ideas of ours seemed to work, some what at least, they still woke up through the night, just not as often and most of the time was just to eat. Now, the pillow helps them to roll onto their back, which wakes them up through the night more than they did before. That is when we new it was time for them to get use to their crib and off the pillow!

While I was in the process of all this we were actually going through problems with their naps, they were short and inconsistent. My sister-in-law called and told me about a book called, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It actually made me feel 90% better and not like such a failier. It said bottle fed babies would get up 1-2 times a night to eat, which is pretty much what they were doing. It also made me feel ok about them sleeping in bed with me, unlike other books, and my favorite is it wasn't so strict. If they were tried, put them to bed..for the most part, the main idea was not to have your babies over tired. Anyway, I loved it!

So, I had two weeks of 2 crying, tired, fussy babies because all at once they were trying to get use to their crib, sleep with out their pillows, and get on a schedule. The best part is when they seemed to start getting use to it, they got colds which started messing it up a little, but what got them the most was traveling to Boise. With the time change and the lack of sleep they got their they are sick all over again, and Ayden has his second ear infection. It never ends! But I don't regret trying to get them use to everything before our trip. It's easier for them to get use to their old schedule than it would have been, and now they are successful sleepers with out their pillows...they only use on them on occasion when they are sick, but other than that, they are much better sleepers with out it, for the most part!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Im so happy that you found the book useful. I liked it too because it didnt make me feel bad for any habits that I have developed with zack. Zack just had double ear infections, and it was miserable!!

Tori said...

I love this book, too. I have read two others and I think this one is probably the best. I don't like all those books that are so one-directional. This one gives lots of options! (We are still having sleep troubles, but we are working on it!)

JoJo said...

Wow just reading your blog makes me exhausted! You go girl, keep it up!