Friday, February 1, 2008

Finding the perrfect eating schedule


We got the boys new high chairs and they are SO great to have!! We were trying to feed them on our laps and food was getting everywhere. It is heaven feeding them compared to before. They are great seats, they recline back, Ayden gets the biggest laugh and smile everytime we tilt him back, and they are the kind that sit on the chairs so they don't take up as much room which is perfect for the little room we have in our apartment.

We are still trying to figure our "the perfect" schedule for them with their new solids, so if any one has any advice I'd love to hear it. I feel like I am just winging it, every book is different and so is every doctor. Our doctor is the one who said to start feeding them, she said bottle fed babies start at 4 months and breast fed start at 6 mo. It is so hard, I hope I am not giving them to much. Gavin seems like such a little pig (which was opposite with the bottles, Ayden was always the pig). We feed them at night and Gavins eats a full bowl of rice and a full 1st foods bottle of food. Ayden with the rice will only eat half his bottle and with out the rice eats the entire thing. Lately, during the day Gavin won't eat his bottle so I have been giving him his food and rice instead. Is that too much? I make sure I don't let him do that more than twice a day because I don't want him getting a stomach ache.

So as of today, and it is always changing, we give Gavin his food instead of his bottle earlier than we were for dinner and 2 hours later he wants his bottle and it works perfectly because it puts him to sleep for the night, kind of, he has been doing better and wakes up every 4 hours to eat, but then goes right to sleep. Ayden is different, because he eats less we fed him then give him his bottle right after, and then another before we lays down for the night. Anyways, I went into such detail because if any one has any suggestions or tips or FYI's for me to know I would love to hear them!

1 comment:

K and M said...

First off, do what you can and don't get too stressed out! Babies change every day and there's always something to fret over. You're doing great; trust your instincts.

To answer your question, though, I would never worry about giving a baby at that age too much food. They aren't like adults - eating beyond the point where they should. Babies eat until they're full and then stop. They really won't let you over-feed them. If they're eating, they need it. However, I would try to avoid filling them up too much with rice and focus more on the nutrient rich foods like formula and veggies. Rice is good, but it doesn't contain as many vitamins and other nutrients as the formula does, so formula should be the priority. What do you mix the rice in? If he won't take the bottle, try mixing the rice with the formula and see if he'll eat that. At least he'll get some of the nutrition that way.

Also, did your doctor tell you when you could start incorporating other grains? I started Benjamin on rice, but after a couple weeks, I started trying some of the others too, like barley, oatmeal, etc. I also often mixed grains into the veggie container. If your doctor feels they're old enough for this, give it a try. It adds variety and fills them up more too. Just be sure to try one thing at a time and give it a while to see how they react.